Thursday, November 29, 2012

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was a very good read! I loved the Hunger Games and I was looking for something like it; Delirium was just as great! I was reading it constantly, even while waiting for food to come in a restaurant!
Blurb: Lena, the protagonist, was living in a world where love is a disease. People under the age of 18 weren't aloud to have contact with boys outside of their family. At the age of 18 everyone is given the cure for love. It seems like it also cures you for having your own mind and feelings. Before Lena is given her cure she meets Alex, an uncured boy. For her first time Lena experiences real love. And she doesn't want it to end.
It seemed like Lauren Oliver was occasionally throwing in random, exciting, but pointless moments in the book that had no meaning. It could have been to get through the book, or maybe she just wanted to add a little more excitement. Either way it came across as a bit cheesy.
The main character could be a little boring at times, but overall I came to enjoy her. I couldn't really relate to her. Her best friend, more of a background character but still important to the story, was easier for me to relate to. The setting was connecting with me a lot! I live very close to where the book took place (but not time wise!). It takes places in future Portland, Maine. You weren't ever allowed to forget it's not modern time.
I would recommend Delirium to any fan of the Hunger Games! It was a great book and so was it's sequel Pandemonium. If you love distopians you should definitely get your hands on Delirium!

No comments:

Post a Comment